Sunday, October 4, 2015

Newbery 1982

A Visit to William Blake's Inn: Poems for Innocent and Experienced Travelers
A Visit to William Blake's Inn: Poems for Innocent and Experienced Travelers
Author: Nancy Willard
Genre: Poetry
Plot:  This picture book is of a fictional inn based on the poetry of William Blake
Verdict: A bit strange
My rating: 3 stars

Ramona Quimby, Age 8  (Ramona Quimby, #6)
Ramona Quimby, Age 8
Author: Beverly Cleary
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Plot: Ramona's father is in school and Ramona tries to survive third grade.
Verdict: Classic Ramona
My rating: 3 stars

Upon the Head of the Goat: A Childhood in Hungary 1939-1944
Upon the Head of the Goat: A Childhood in Hungary 1939-1944
Author: Aranka Siegal
Genre: Nonfiction
Plot: The author's memories of being a Jew in Hungary during World War II.
Verdict: Powerful
My rating: 3 stars

The 1982 Newbery books are completely different from each other. 

The winner, A Visit to William Blake's Inn is the only book that I know of to get on the Newbery and Caldecott lists simultaneously (several authors have books on both lists but for separate books).  Before reading it, I recommend reading  Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience by William Blake so that the book will make more sense.  It is a short read, being a picture book of poetry, and after my first read, I had to go find both books on Open Library before rereading the book and it made a bit more sense the second time.  I think it is one of the oddest most unique books on the Newbery list.

Ramona Quimby, Age 8 is the sixth book in Cleary's Ramona series.  I have seen some call it dated, but I did not find it to be dated personally as I read it.  It might be because it was published only a few years before I was born so I am not too far removed from the timeframe of the book.  Many of the trials Ramona goes through are still relevant, such has having a parent in college and struggling financially.

Upon the Head of the Goat is definitely the serious book of this year.  It is based on the author's experiences as a Jewish girl in Hungary during World War II.  The book ends before the family is sent to a concentration camp.  Hungary was the last country to persecute its Jewish population.  The author's mother is definitely a strong and intelligent woman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment