Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Newbery 1924

The Dark Frigate

The Dark Frigate
Author: Charles Boardman Hawes
Genre: Historical Fiction
Plot: Philip Marsham joins the crew of the Rose of Devon only to have the ship taken over by pirates and be pressed into the service of the pirates.
Verdict: Swashbuckling
My rating: 3 stars

There's not a ton to talk about for the books of 1924 as there was only one book to read.  I was intrigued before I read it. My husband and I were looking online to find out if the book was public domain or not and he ran across some reviews of the book saying that they wouldn't let their children read the book because of the violence.  My response: what violence?  Yes, the pirates kill the crew but it's not terribly graphic like a lot of modern literature.  If you're a fan of Treasure Island, I would recommend the book.  My only reason for keeping my rating at 3 stars was that it took 70 pages to get to any decent action.

No comments:

Post a Comment