Friday, May 8, 2015

Newbery 1963

A Wrinkle in Time (Time Series, #1)
A Wrinkle in Time
Author: Madeline L'Engle
Genre: Science Fiction/Fantasy
Plot: Meg and her brother Charles Wallace team up with three mysterious beings to try to save the world and their father.
Verdict: Great fantasy ride
My rating: 4 stars

Thistle and Thyme: Tales and Legends from Scotland
Thistle and Thyme: Tales and Legends from Scotland
Author: Sorche Nic Leodhas
Genre: Folktales
Plot: A collection of Scottish folk tales often told at weddings and other special occasions.
Verdict: Fresh, fun folk tales
My rating: 4 stars

Men Of Athens
Men of Athens
Author: Olivia Coolidge
Genre: Historical fiction
Plot: A fictionalized account of the rise of Athens.
Verdict: Boring boring boring
My rating: One star

The medal winner this year is one of my favorite books, A Wrinkle in Time.  It seems to me that people either love the book or hate it.  The most common reason I hear for people not liking it is that the book is confusing.  And it is.  It definitely rides the science fiction and fantasy line with Mrs. Who, Mrs. Whatsit and Mrs. Which.  I have read the next three books in the series and liked them all, especially Many Waters.  If you enjoy fantasy, this is a must read.

Thistle and Thyme is a collection of Scottish folk tales.  They read completely different from other European folk stories like those of Grimm and Hans Christian Andersen.  They are more upbeat.  I especially enjoyed the story with the Kelpie.

I was very disappointed by Men of Athens.  It is supposed to be an account of the history of Athens but it hard to tell if it is historical fiction or nonfiction as parts of it seem to be fabricated.  It wasn't very interesting in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment