Wednesday, October 28, 2015

#6 - The Hero and the Crown

The Hero and the Crown (Damar, #1)

The Hero and the Crown
Robin McKinley
1985 Newbery Medal Winner
Fantasy

My introduction to this book was in high school.  I was in our school library with friends and my friend saw this book and told me that I had to read it.  So I picked it up....and I couldn't put it down. 

It was also my introduction to Robin McKinley, who I found out is known for her adaptations of fairy tales.  Her first novel was Beauty, an adaptation of "Beauty and the Beast" (which she adapted yet again with Rose Daughter).  The Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword (which is a Newbery Honor book) are not fairy tale adaptations but are high fantasy novels which take place in the imaginary land of Damar.  Hero is technically the prequel to Blue Sword, although the two can technically read in either order. 

The main character in the book is Aerin, the daughter of the king and queen.  Most of the royal family members have some form of magical powers (called "The Gift"), except for Aerin, who is teased by her other cousins, especially Galanna.  To prove that she is of royal blood, she eats a bunch of surka leaves which leaves her bedridden for quite a long time but does not kill her.  While she recovers, she forms a bond with her father's old lame warhorse, Talat and works to find the secret lost recipe of kenet, a substance that makes things fire proof.  After she recovers, she decides to go out and slay dragons.

One of the best features of McKinley's writing is her descriptive writing.  It brings the book to life.  Aerin is a very amusing and multi-dimensional character who grows immensely throughout the novel.

1 comment:

  1. I love your challenge XD I wish I could do this challenge, it seems so awesome! My library has hardly any good books though and refuses to bring anything in. I can't wait for your next update ^_^

    ReplyDelete