Monday, April 15, 2013

Newbery 1981

Jacob Have I Loved
Jacob Have I Loved
Author: Katherine Patterson
Genre: Historical Fiction
Plot: Louisa watches as her younger twin Caroline gets all the attention from her parents and struggles to make a place for herself.
Verdict: Sibling rivalry
My rating: 3 stars

The Fledgling (Hall Family Chronicles #4)
The Fledgling
Author: Jane Langdon
Genre: Fantasy
Plot: Georgie is an 8 year old girl who learns to fly from a goose.
Verdict: Boring and convoluted
My rating: 1 star

A Ring of Endless Light (Austin Family, #5)
A Ring of Endless Light
Author: Madeline L'Engle
Genre: Contemporary Realistic Fiction
Plot: Vicki spends the summer watching her grandfather die and being pursed by three different boys and working with dolphins.
Verdict: Nice coming of age story
My rating: 3 stars

Two of these books are great but the other one is a total waste of time.  Both Jacob Have I Loved and A Ring of Endless Light have a "coming of age" theme for young girls.  The girls face different circumstances but a similar overall theme.  I enjoyed both.  Both authors (Patterson and L'Engle) are also very well known and are on the Newbery list multiple times.  I enjoy reading both of them.

The Fledgling, on the other hand, bored me to tears.  I don't know how it was considered "a great book."  The characters were tedious and the plot was almost non existent.  Given the setting, I suspect that it was supposed to have transcendentalist overtones in that but I've found that trying to fuse philosophical underpinnings into a book often ruins the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment