Monday, October 19, 2015

#10 - The Witch of Blackbird Pond

The Witch of Blackbird Pond

The Witch of Blackbird Pond
Elizabeth George Speare
1959 Medal Winner
Historical Fiction

I originally read this book in late grade school (probably 5th, 6th or 7th grade).  I remember checking it out from our small school library.  I have no idea why I picked it.  I wasn't a huge fan of historical fiction.  I'm sure I had to pick out some book
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
The School had this version.
I liked it so much I eventually picked up my own paperback copy for my personal library. 

The book is set in Puritan Connecticut.  Kit, the main character, has traveled here from Barbados because her grandfather died and she was forced to sell off all his land and possessions.  Her only remaining family is her Aunt Rachel (her mother's sister) and her Uncle Matthew.  Kit does not fit in well in this new place with her lack of experience doing hard work and her fancy dresses.  She ends up running the Dame school with her crippled cousin Mercy and after an incident there, flees to the meadow where she meets the Widow Tupper.  Widow Tupper is an eccentric old woman and a Quaker.  The town thinks she's a witch. Therefore, it would be a good idea for Kit not to associate with her.

There are three male characters of note.  Nat is the son of the captain of the ship that ferried Kit to Connecticut.  William Ashby seems to have his eye on Kit.  John Holbrook is studying with the Dr. Rev. Bulkeley and seems to have his eye on Judith, Kit's older cousin.

Re-reading this book as a adult, I noticed more of the historical context than I probably noticed as a child.  I understand more of the Puritan culture and the political landscape surrounding the loyalists.  I recognized the poetry of Anne Bradstreet which I studied in high school.  The subplot with the charter is based on historical facts as well.  I recently subbed in an eighth grade class reading this book and I'm not sure the students understood the historical context (if they did, they either didn't pay attention, or played the fool, it's hard to tell when you are the sub).  I enjoyed re-reading this book.  The plot is still great, the characters are developed and the heroine is spunky.

As for Speare, she is one of the few authors to win the Newbery twice.  She also has one honor book as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment