Sunday, May 31, 2015

Newbery 2007

The Higher Power of Lucky (The Hard Pan Trilogy, #1)
The Higher Power of Lucky
Author: Susan Patron
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Plot: Lucky lives in a small California town with her guardian and searches for her higher power.
Verdict: The ending is good
My rating: 3 stars

Penny From Heaven
Penny from Heaven
Author: Jennifer L. Holm
Genre: Historical Fiction
Plot: Penny's summer is sure to be boring since her mother won't let her do anything but then tragedy strikes.
Verdict: Watch out for laundry ringers
My rating: 3 stars

Hattie Big Sky
Hattie Big Sky
Author: Kirby Larson
Genre: Historical Fiction
Plot: Hattie tries to prove her uncle's homestead claim as a 16 year old girl.
Verdict: Bittersweet
My rating: 3 stars

Rules
Rules
Author: Cynthia Lord
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Plot: Catherine writes rules for her autistic brother and befriends Jason, who is in a wheelchair.
Verdict: Realistic Fiction
My rating: 3 stars

This year definitely had an interesting mix of books. 

I don't have a lot to say about The Higher Power of Lucky.  I found the bit about the government cheese amusing.   Penny From Heaven was an interesting look at a girl who has two families that don't generally intermingle.  Her Italian family cracked me up.  The plot kind of plods along until the big tragedy (which will make you wince).  Hattie Big Sky seemed to me to be not terribly realistic until I found out that the author based it upon a female relative who attempted to homestead.  Parts of it were definitely "Little House" like except that it is set in a completely different time period.  The distrust of the Germans during World War I is something that is not often explored so it was interesting to see it.  The end was heartbreaking.  Rules is often talked about in special education circles because of her Autistic brother and Jason, who is in a wheelchair.  I love how the brother loves Frog and Toad.

No comments:

Post a Comment