Thursday, June 27, 2013

Newbery 1988

Lincoln: A Photobiography
Lincoln: A Photobiography
Author: Russell Freedman
Genre: Non-fiction
Plot:  The story of President Abraham Lincoln from birth to assassination.
Verdict:  Interestingly written biography
My rating: 3 stars

After the Rain
After the Rain
Author: Norma Fox Mazer
Genre: Contemporary realistic fiction
Plot: Rachel deals with the fact that her grandfather is slowly dying of mesothelioma.
Verdict:  Heart wrenching story
My rating: 3 stars

Hatchet (Brian's Saga, #1)
Hatchet
Author: Gary Paulsen
Genre: Contemporary Realistic Fiction
Plot: Brian finds himself stranded in the Canadian wilderness after a plane crash with only his hatchet to help him survive.
Verdict:  Boring with an abrupt ending
My rating: 1 star

Let me honest and say that I had a terrible experience with Hatchet during seventh grade.  It was assigned reading my teacher basically ruined the book.  I wasn't into the survival genre either and I was extremely disappointed by the ending. 

After the Rain could be very useful for a student who has a dying relative and it struck a cord with me because I have lost many close relatives.  However, the rest of the plot of the book did not spark my interest so I could not rate it higher than 3 stars. 

I remember being assigned Lincoln during my children's lit course and I enjoyed it.  It has lots of pictures (so it really is a "photobiography") and gives an interesting account of the life of Lincoln.  It was definitely my favorite of the three.

No comments:

Post a Comment