Sunday, February 1, 2015

Newbery 2014

Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures
Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures
Author: Kate DiCamillo
Genre: Fantasy
Plot: Ulysses the squirrel becomes a superhero after being vacuumed up and teams up with Flora.
Verdict: Insanely cute with great illustrations
My rating: 4 stars

Doll Bones
Doll Bones
Author: Holly Black
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Plot: Three friends travel to bury a doll they believe is made from the bones of a dead girl.
Verdict: Creepy but not too creepy
My rating: 3 stars 

The Year of Billy Miller
The Year of Billy Miller
Author: Kevin Henkes
Genre: Contemporary Realistic Fiction
Plot: We follow Billy Miller through his second grade year.
Verdict: Ok
My rating: 3 stars 

One Came Home
One Came Home
Author: Amy Timberlake
Genre: Historical Fiction
Plot: Georgie goes on a quest to prove that the body that was found was not her sister's
Verdict: Quite the mystery
My rating: 3 stars 

Paperboy
Paperboy
Author: Vince Vawter
Genre: Historical Fiction
Plot: A boy who stutters takes over his friend's paper route for the summer.
Verdict: Excellent story
My rating: 4 stars

I was very excited to see Kate DiCamillo win her second Newbery award this year.  I had actually picked up Flora and Ulysses at a local bookstore simply because it was DiCamillo's book without knowing it had won.  I absolutely loved the book and I loved how the graphic novel elements of it enhanced the book.  I doubt this is the last we will see of DiCamillo's brilliant mind on the Newbery list.

A book I was not looking forward to reading was Holly Black's Doll Bones.  It was the last book I read to complete the year.  I had tried to start it earlier but I'm not one for creepy books, especially after 2013's Splendors and Glooms.  I was pleasantly surprised at the book.  It was not horribly creepy and actually readable and while some people may not like the ending, it was something I could live with.

Of the remaining three books, I really enjoyed Paperboy.  I do not always go for books written in first person but the author's voice was excellent.  The ending and the author's note cemented my enjoyment of this book.  One Came Home  was a good mystery that will keep you guessingI was a bit disappointed by The Year of Billy Miller as I thought it was a little lackluster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment