Sunday, January 25, 2015

Grow Your Blog 2015

Welcome to my blog, especially to my visitors from Grow Your Blog!


2 Bags Full

A Bit of Background

My first love has always been reading.  I learned to read at a very young age (between age 3 and 4) and ever since I have devoured books.  My love for reading was rekindled in college when I took a children's literature course as part of my undergraduate degree.  The book we used for the class had a list in the back of all the Newbery Medal and Honor books and I thought at the time that it would be cool to try to read all the books on the list. 

Literature and the Child [With 2 CDROMs and 4-Month Subscription to Infotrac]
The book is Literature and the Child and is actually a good reference guide for children's lit.
After college, life happened and I never thought about it again until 2012 when I was laid off from my job and found myself at home with a lot of time on my hands with two small children.  I decided to actually set the goal to read all the Newbery Medal and Honor books.

Educationally, I have a B.S. in Education and an M.A. in Teaching.  I am considering doing my doctorate in reading but I want to wait a few years before starting that enormous project.

Why Newbery?

The Newbery list appealed to me because it is one of the oldest awards for American children's literature.  I found that as a reader, I tended to stick to my favorite genre (sci fi/fantasy) and as a pre-service teacher, I decided that I needed a way to "expand my horizons." The Newbery list was a way to do that as it covers many different genres including nonfiction.  It is essentially a "cross-section" of literature.

Where Do I Get the Books?

I have been able to order most of the books I have read from my library's consortium.  I also own some books myself.  The 1922 and 1923 books are public domain and can be downloaded legally for free from the Gutenburg Project.  There are several books from the 1920s and 30s that are public domain because their copyrights were not renewed and you can find them in various places online to read legally.  I have also read several off Kindle Unlimited and Oyster.  Oyster has many books I would like to read, however, they do not have a Windows Phone app yet and I found it tedious to read off my laptop so I'm waiting for them to make an app.  Oyster gives you a 14 day trial and Kindle Unlimited does 30 days.

Many of the older books, especially the older honor books, are out of print and extremely hard to find.  Hopefully, many of them will become available digitally as they approach their public domain status. 

What Have I Found So Far?

So far, I have found the books that I have read to be high quality and enjoyable literature, with a few exceptions.  I have been especially impressed with the nonfiction books, considering I don't read a lot of nonfiction independently as I find it dry and boring much of the time.  The older books read a lot differently and it is interesting to see how writing styles and plots have evolved over 90 something years.

About This Blog

Once I have read all the medal and honor books for a year, I write a blog post.  For each book I list: the title, the author, the genre, a brief description, my verdict and my rating off Goodreads.  I then write a brief review of what I thought of the year.  I also post about certain book series and authors of note.

Because I wait until I have read all the books in a year, I do not post very regularly.  If you want a more instant way to follow what I read, I suggest following me on Goodreads.  You can reach my shelf through the Goodreads feed in the sidebar.

Obviously, more Newbery books come out every year, therefore, this blog is an ongoing project as the list grows with each passing year.


Thanks for stopping by!

16 comments:

  1. been on the same quest!! I have quite a few of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By my last count, I'm at 122 Newbery Medal/Honor books read. I finally got my hands on Paperboy (an honor from last year that I had to wait to get on interlibrary loan).

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's an amazing challenge. Enjoy.
    I'm an avid reader too - it was a gift to learn to read so young...
    Enjoy the blog hop today
    Best wishes
    Fil Fil’s Place - Old songs and Memories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother read to me constantly and that's how I learned to read so early. I tried to do the same with my daughters (ages 3 and 5) but they both have language delays so I fear reading will be difficult for both of them. The five year old loves being read to but the three year old won't sit still for it (she may be Autistic but it's too early for that diagnosis).

      Delete
  3. This is very interesting. I am an avid reader also. I have been back in college these past 2 years and so haven't had a lot of time for pleasure reading. But, I do sneak a great book in every once in a while. I am visiting from the grow your blog party and am one of your new followers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a bit of a hiatus from reading for pleasure as well since I did my Masters from June 2013 to December 2014 with 9-10 credits each term. It was a lot of reading so I was a bit burnt out but the last semester was student teaching which meant no other coursework and I was able to get my "mojo" back. I don't remember being that burnt out as an undergrad but I don't think you read quite as much and my masters was mostly online so that always means more reading. Best of luck on your college studies!

      Delete
  4. Hello Mrs. Arceneaux. I too decided to read all the Newbury Medal books, back in 1982! I started when I was pregnant with my son. But I only got up to the mid 70s because I found that they suddenly became quite dark in theme and plot and I was not enjoying them. Maybe I'll go back. Anyway, I have enjoyed my visit.
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. There do seem to be some "darker" books in certain years for sure. I'm not looking forward to reading Doll Bones from 2014 because it just looks creepy. I do highly suggest the 2014 winner Flora and Ulysses. It's such a great book and I love Kate DiCamillo!

      Normally there's an option to follow at the very top of the web page if you're signed into Google but I added some following options in the left side bar for you. Feel free to friend me on Goodreads as well. If you click on one of the books in the Goodreads widget, you can find me.

      Delete
  5. PS: How do I follow your blog? I can't seem to find the "Follow me" button.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea for a blog ! Welcome to the GYB party on behalf of Vicki. I'm Nan and I have a blog which focuses on jewelry making mainly. I really have enjoyed reading your reviews of Newberry books since I'm an avid reader and love sci fi/fantasy as well as young adult dystopian novels. I have read many Newberry award winners over the years and look forward to reading all of your reviews as I'm a new follower of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nan. So great of you to help Vicki out since I know this is a monumental project!

      YA dystopian novels seems to be a thing right now (hopefully replacing the whole vampire thing!). I just read Divergent but I decided to go retro and right now I'm reading the first book in Wheel of Time. Feel free to friend me on Goodreads!

      Delete
  7. I used to be the childrens lead at a bookstore and I also set out to read all the Newberys. Some awesome books. I am behind now that I don't have such easy access :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an amazing goal! I'm a retired reading teacher and remember learning the Caldecotts and Newberrys in college, too. I've read a lot of them but no where near all of them. I'll stop by again soon and hope you visit my blog, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've visited a blog like yours before! What a unique focus. Sci fi/fantasy were my favorite kinds of books growing up. I recently finished reading Myth Directions and it reminded me how much I loved fantasy! Enjoy the blog hop ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting project you have embarked on! I love to read too but don't have as much time to devote to it as I would like. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I came across your blog via the Grow Your Blog Party, I knew that I simply must follow. I am a Young Adult Librarian so I read mostly teen & juvenile material for work. It is interesting to see what you think vs. what I think about certain books. I am going to follow your blog via e-mail and also on Goodreads!
    -Brittany @ Pickles Quilting

    ReplyDelete